28.8.13

Getting Married in Thailand

The pieces of the puzzle are finally starting to fall into place...Tik and I are getting married! Again!

As you know, Tik and I had a Religious ceremony last month in his hometown of Ranong. Since then, I have finished my last group with ISV, moved out from Baan Unrak (with a promise to return every 2
months) and have carried almost 80 kilos of accumulated crap to the south of Thailand, and into our new home in Krabi!

The past few weeks have been an interesting adjustment; living on an island (if that's what we can call it), running the finances of Tik's rock climbing business (check us out on Facebook Real Rocks Railay!) and settling into a new home with Tik.

Mom and Dad are flying out to visit us this week, and we have decided to sign our marriage licenses, with my parents as witnesses next week in Krabi. So, Tik and I are legally getting hitched, and this time my family will be there to celebrate!

It's kind of a pain in the ass to marry overseas, and it starts with an unpleasant experience at the US embassy in Bangkok (please read previous rant post "Royally Annoyed in Bangkok!")

First you have to prove you're single with a paper from the embassy (which states at the bottom that the embassy doesn't guarantee any of the information is true....
So, basically I paid 50 dollars for a paper that doesn't even prove anything.) What a waste!

Then you get the document translated into Thai. Next, sit in traffic for hours to get to the opposite side of the city to get the document certified by the ministry of foreign affairs and immigration department. (I am at this stage presently.)

After that it should be a quick trip to the local government office in Krabi to sign our marriage papers... Here's to hoping it is smooth sailing from here on out with my folks!

Safe flight mom and dad, happy to see you soon. For the rest of you out there, you can find me sipping champagne at the nail salon tonight; there are finer ways to spend my time in Bangkok!

No comments:

Post a Comment