15.5.11

Chiang Mai Rock Climbing, Site Inspections

Hi! I know it's been ages since the last time I wrote here, but since my last post I've flown back to Thailand, rented an apartment and settled in again (for a whole 4 weeks!) Work's been getting me down and I've been struggling these past few weeks to...well, let's just say I've been struggling.

Things are looking up though! And lately I've been back to me-old self again, smiles n' all.

I'm currently on a Tour Familiarization and traveling through Thailand again with my homies Queen and P'May. I'll be on a few adventure tours this season (for the first time in Thailand in over a year!) and that means I get to: visit all the exotic destinations on tour; meet and greet all of our operators; and run through all the adventure activities we rock here in Thailand with our groups.

For now, it's just us: the girls, the guides, and staff. Since I've known some of these operators since 2007, it's like visiting family most of the time.

First stop, Chiang Mai:
Rock Climbing at Crazy Buttress, with CMRCA (Chiang Mai Rock Climbing Adventures.)



Meet the CMRCA crew: P'Muad, Add, Ouan, Pum, Josh, and Phi. Group Picture, is at the CMRCA shop and in the background the climbing wall/mats they let us use, anytime we're looking to practice our badass free climbing technique, experiment with some new twists in our movement, and most importantly blow off steam when rolling through Chiang Mai!



Caving and Climbing adventures. The cave is nearly a 50 meter abseil into pitch blackness, and we spend a fair bit of time caving and teaching groups about cave formations and this mysterious underground world. Once you pop out of the cave, you're blinded by dizzying heights and some impressive limestone cliffs...or crags.



Meet the crag: Crazy Horse Buttress. We brushed up on our free climbing skills, revisited our equipment safety, 'Figure-8s' and rope tying techniques, self belayed and let loose on the crag.

It's been a while since my last climb, and despite the mosquitoes and torrential downpour of rain that left me stranded mid-air for a little while, I really pushed myself hard today and it felt great. I needed it: undivided concentration on the sport; the pure strain of physical exertion; and the release of sweat pouring down my face and body washing my stresses away.

Now, I'm sore, sleepy and craving a hot shower...so I'll be off. Tomorrow morning we start early with a city tour of historic temples (dating back 700+ years) here in Chiang Mai. We've hired rickshaw drivers for the day, and since they tend to be old men in their late 70's, I'm fully planning on hopping out, running on foot and pushing my own rickshaw while my driver sits in the seat and relaxes his weary hard-working bones. :)

Just another day, and another reason I love my life.


Interested in finding out more about our friends at CMRCA? Check our their Facebook page for the best updated info.



No comments:

Post a Comment