24.8.10

Thai Protesters Storm Bangkok Airport, Nov.2008

Well, my travel plans to the South have officially been destroyed. Right now in Thailand the government is under attack by its people. News is buzzing that another coup d'etat will be taking place real soon.

The protesting started roughly 5 months ago, but these past few weeks it's been really out of control, looking like it did just before the last coup in 2006. The past 2 weeks I've seen protesters from the hundreds jump to the thousands in Bangkok alone. Recently they've stormed the government officials' homes and offices trying to force the current PM and his cabinet out of office. The current PM is supposed to be a shadow puppet of the former, who was ousted and is now in exile from charges of corruption and fraud.

They've taken to storming the major airports, and now people all over the country have started striking in support. The trains stopped running from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, which will affect the next ISV group's plans this wednesday if the strike is still going on. They've also stormed the airports in the South (including Phuket airport) and are specifically targeting foreigner hot spots. The protesters are trying to make the point that they have control. If they stop foreigners from traveling then the tourism industry will suffer financially...thus proving the government that they're a force to be reckoned with.

So far the military's staying they're staying out of it...but to be honest I have no idea how long that will last. Let's just say it's obvious that they're on high alert right now.

I was supposed to fly to the South for my mini holiday, but now I can't get through to Phuket. The airport is completely closed off, and the police are there with water buckets trying to control the crowds. Forget about taking an 18 hour bus ride down there....Shiza!

Something big is coming...it's in the air and we can all feel it over here. Part of me is fascinated about the turn of events, but another part of me is nervous about leading my next gorup through all of this. I'm not worried about my personal safety, I'm just worried about the logistics of our traveling we do on tour. And Bangkok...Bangkok sounds like it's a real nightmare right now.

It will be interesting to see if anything changes. Thai people are constantly protesting their government, and constantly wanting a revolution. But when it comes time to take action, nothing gets done. Change happens very slowly out here: just when it's time to get to work, something else always manages to come up.

As for me, I'm now stuck in the rainy north for another week...damn! As I'm writing this the monsoon season is in full force outside the office front doors. The soi (street) that Kieran lives on actually gets flooded, to the point that I can't even get out of his moo baan (neighborhood) without walking in ankle deep water. It's dinner time, and I'm trapped for at least a couple of hours until I get so desperate I make a run for the water.

Since I'm trapped here, I've got absolutely no plans for this weekend. Queen's in town so she'll keep me entertained, but other than that a lot of boring down time: ie, post office, bus station, phone calls to banks and travel agents, etc. The only plans I've got for next week is my next scheduled border run to Burma...always fun. It's about 4 hours travel by local bus to cross a yellow line, stand in line, get your photo taken, stamp your passport, wander into town for some ridiculously cheap noodles, cross back, then another 4 hours travel back to Chiang Mai. Oh, and hopefully I'll have my credit card by then. (Note: always remember to check the expiration date of your credit card before you travel...stupid move Stef, stupid!)

Ok gotta go, my stomach is rumbling and I gotta brave the rains.

Here's a link with more news about what exactly is going on over here: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2008/s2430807.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment