25.10.11

Baan Unrak Girls Take Center Stage: Hip Hop, Yoga, Ballet Remix!

Watch out boys...the Baan Unrak Teenage Girls are taking over the center stage with some brand new moves: yoga, ballet, hip-hop and modern dance, all blended into 2 new show pieces (a work in progress, of course!)

The girls at the Home have been begging me to teach them dance since they saw my old ballerina photos posted on Facebook last month. I have about 20 girls currently interested in learning, but I'm working slowly considering I haven't taught (or danced!) in a very, very, very long time...First I'm trying to create some good choreography, using only a select few dancers. When we're ready and happy with our dance we will create a class (complete with warm ups, simple floor routines, and working choreography) and teach en masse to the kids at the Home (and possible other children's organizations in the area.)

Last week officially started our private dance rehearsals...every afternoon from 1-3:30 pm. My core crew (included in this video) are: Sa, Apple, Tangmoe, and Faith. Let me tell you, for a group of girls who have never had a proper dance class or any technical training, they're learning quickly. I hope, in a few months' time, I might be able to get them ready to perform in front of audiences.

Enjoy the video of our hip hop/modern dance piece below.


Video not working? Click here and watch the video on my Youtube page.

If you're interested in seeing more, we're also working on a second piece: yoga/ballet fusion dance...check out the link here!


Like what you see? Leave comments below, the kids would love to see what you write around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment