30.9.10

15 Tips To De-Hassle International Flights

“There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror.” – Orson Welles

This is the part of the 'globetrotting lifestyle' I absolutely hate...the actual act of jet setting. The minute you set foot in an airport, chaos sets in. I always feel like I'm in the middle of a race I never signed up for.
Quick, to the check in counter! Race to get your bag scanned and loaded! Run to beat the lines for the security checks! Make sure you've got your departure cards filled out because next stop, immigration and customs! (...Never break eye contact with immigration officers...it makes them nervous.)
After that, wait 20 minutes for the women's toilets and of course boarding time is just around the corner...

Agh, I hate airports! Long lines for EVERYTHING, ego-maniac security guards, impatient business travelers, confusing time zones and the jet lag that follows, tight connections, expensive food courts, large people in cramped seats, pushy passengers, improbable weather delays, turbulent flights, overstuffed suitcases in the overhead compartments, and the absolute worst...suspicious coughs and sneezing. I'm always a little bit terrified about what dormant diseases people are carrying in airports, including myself...shit, when's the last time I updated my vaccines?!!!

So...let's breathe deep and just come to terms with the fact that international travel is only glitz and glamour for those behind the mysterious curtain that separates First Class from you and me, the common folk, the dreaded coach...


Some tips to de-hassle international traveling I've learned along the way....

  1. Remember the golden 'pre-departure' rules...
    Get to the airport 2 hours prior for domestic flights, 3 for international; wear comfy shoes and light layers; leave your valuables at home; and leave a copy of all important travel documents with a friend or family
  2. Before you fly pack carefully...
    I always use this as my "zen" time. I listen to music, I drink my coffee, and I meticulously place all my belongings in the order I have perfected over the past years. Without even opening my pack I can tell you exactly where my toothbrush is, which is a handy trick when you need to get to something quick in your bag...If I don't take my time packing, I usually get frustrated and throw my pack out my hotel balcony window...(last 2 offences in Singapore and China I believe...)
  3. Know the baggage weight limits of your airline...
    (and don't forget domestic connections) If you're not sure, weigh your bag before you go to the airport and spare yourself the small fortune in fees, or the embarrassment of opening your pack and redistributing weight while a long line of angry tourists glare at your backside.
  4. Tuck in all your pack's straps and buckles, airlines get aggressive when handling your luggage---if it can rip off or break easily, strap it down.
  5. Request your seat when checking in...
    I like to check in and request aisle seats, I prefer not having to climb over people when nature calls. Some people prefer windows, since you get a view and a headrest. I hate not being able to keep my bags under my feet, so I avoid emergency exit rows (whereas some people prefer the extra leg room.)
  6. Double check that the airline prints out a luggage ID that has your correct final destination on it.
    If you're worried about your luggage getting lost, consider re-checking in your pack at one of your connections. If you have a long layover and you think you will have time to check in at a counter, go for it. I only do this when I have 3 or more connections and/or when I'm switching airlines during the journey.
  7. Keep all your passport/tickets/visas/immigration and immunization records in one organized location, easy to reach going through security and gates.
  8. For security check points, watch the other passengers first to see what's required..
    The USA has one of the toughest security check points requiring you to strip down to a bare minimum (no shoes, no belts, no scarves, no liquids, etc.) Many international security checks won't require you to take off your shoes, belt or jacket, nor do they require constant checking of ID and tickets. So think twice before you strip!
  9. Keep all your liquids checked in your luggage. De clutter your carry on, only carry essentials for the flight.
  10. Keep entertainment and reading material for long flights & layovers--if you're bringing music or electronics, be sure to have appropriate adapters and chargers in your carry on.
  11. Keep cash on you.
    During layovers many travel currency exchange agencies do not require a minimum transaction. If you want a coffee or a snack in between country hopping, change a few bucks over and keep the leftover change as a souvenir.
  12. Keep a sleep kit for your flights: eye mask, ear plugs, face wipes, socks, mini toothbrush and toothpaste (*separate for security*), and sleeping pills if you dare. Don't forget prescription meds & the sweater or scarf to keep warm mid-flight.
  13. Stay mobile during the flights...
    Deep vein thrombosis or "economy class syndrome" is essentially a blood clot condition that occurs from immobility and dehydration during extended periods of time. The more you fly, the more at risk you are. Drink lots of water and juice (for every wine or coffee drink 2 cups of water), and walk up and down the aisles if you're feeling stiff.
  14. Avoid jet lag...
    Keep a watch for easy time changing, and adapting to new time zones. Spend time outside to help keep your body in tune with the time, drink lots of water, nap for 2 or 3 hours at a time but force yourself to wake up! Exercise or go for a long walk when you land to literally 'stay on your feet!' And never underestimate the healing powers of a steaming hot shower...
  15. Most importantly, keep a sense of humor...
    I have a giggle every time I fly with Thais...for some inexplicable reason the minute the plane lands they are on their feet, bags in hand and charging their way down the aisles to get off the plane! Forget about waiting in your seat until the crowd parts to let you by, they don't let anyone through!
    I like to block the aisle with my bag and make sure every single person in front of me has cleared the plane before making my way out, it's a sick pleasure I know. For a people so gentle and polite to strangers, plane rides in Thailand become alternate universes where wrong is right, being rude is socially accepted, the toilets are the cleanest you've ever sat on & the airplane food is better than anything you can cook at home ...
    Know before you go! Things to consider for your overseas trip: visas, travel documents, immunizations, spare cash flow sources, customs and cultural expectations...for an extensive checklist of tips read here:


2 comments:

  1. Awesome, but what are your other packing tips? I try to stack my clothes as outfits, in the order that I plan to wear them. This way, I can leave everything folded in the bag, & I'm not digging through to the bottom to get to my socks or belt. Just one of those things I started doing that's worked so far.
    ...well, that and leaving underwear out altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I have a special spot reserved for pants, tank tops, shirts and long sleeves, etc...I never have to unpack as long as I remember where I put them. Packing really depends on the type of luggage you're hauling, so you gotta find what works for you.

    Another big packing tip is to roll your clothes--you're always able to fit more that way than just folding them in.

    ReplyDelete