3.6.11

Sao Yai, The Rescued Elephant

Sometimes the job is just the job. Sometimes the job is your life. I'm not sure which category I fall into. More and more it feels like my personal life is slipping away from me, and I can't differentiate between job satisfaction and personal achievement.

Maybe this isn't such a terrible thing, considering that yesterday I got to witness a miracle.

I've been at the Elephant Nature Park this week with a group of 13 volunteers from the USA and Canada. The last time I led a project here was nearly 2 years ago to the day. I cried heartily when I left last time, because I was bound for New Zealand and I wasn't sure if or when I would be coming back. The day I turned up at the park again it felt like coming home; my best friends welcomed me, not too much had changed and I fell back easily into my old routine.

We've been working incredibly hard: cutting enough corn to feed 35 elephants; shoveling poop from shelters spread out all over the property; assisting with the veterinary care for elephants that are sick and injured; handling tons (literally 3-4 tons daily) of pumpkin and watermelon to be washed, cut and fed to the elephants; and handling the daily maintenance/repairs required around the park (i.e. fencing, planting trees, repairing shelters.)

Earlier this week Lek (the founder) gave us some incredible news. She, with the help of donations and foreign sponsors, was able to buy and rescue another elephant from a neighboring trekking camp. This elephant, Sao Yai, is precious to Lek since she had temporarily taken care of her nearly a decade ago. Back then, Lek did not have the land or money to be able to buy Sao Yai, so this was a great personal triumph for Lek on many levels.

Since Lek last treated her, Sao Yai has been living her life locked in a camp where elephants are subjected to beatings and heavy tourists clamoring onto their backs, each of them suffering years of abusive riding. She has had her babies stolen from her, and she has worked day in and day out for her owner and handlers to make a meager living. For Sao Yai now, all of this was about to end...forever.

Thursday morning we finished our chores (you guessed it, shoveling poop!) and hitched a ride to the elephant camp where Sao Yai was waiting for us. She was freed from her foot chains, fed a batch of freshly chopped bananas, and eagerly welcomed by all of us. Her handler (mahout) led her out the front gate, onto the foot path towards the Park, and we started walking together.

We walked with her for 2 hours, slow and steady, up the road to the Park and encouraged her all the way with sweet bananas and water poured directly from our water bottles into her soft-tipped trunk.





The moment we turned off the main road, and finally set foot on ENP property a cheer erupted from every one of us as we realized that never again, will she suffer at the hands of man. One more elephant life saved and spared!

We bathed her and led her gently to Jokia and Mae Perm. These elephants were two of Lek's first rescues, and old friends of Sao Yai. After decades apart, it was obvious that after a few gentle sniffs and trumpets the small pack welcomed her back and remembered her intimately.



It's true, an elephant never forgets.


She's only been at the park for less than 24 hours now, so we'll have to watch her carefully and see how she's received by other members in the herd. Our hopes are high that she will be welcomed warmly, and adopt a new family herd of her own to live out the rest of her happy days as a beautiful, strong and healthy elephant.



It was such an honor to be a part of this experience, and I will cherish the memory always.



No comments:

Post a Comment